Communication & Closure Plan
So many times, members mention that they weren’t aware of a preplanned closure or weren’t told that the Y would close when there’s snow. In an effort to clearly communicate our communication plan, read below for the ways that you can opt-into and receive communication or proactively find communication.
When do these happen? Anytime the Y was supposed to open but will not open because of weather or other circumstances happening on a last minute basis. In the past, these have occurred in cases of snow, hurricane, and loss of electricity.
How do I find out? We post these closures on the alerts section of our website and send push notifications from our app. We also change the outgoing phone message at the branch.
What is ‘facility access mode’? Many times, we deem it safe to open the branch but because of local school closures and staff-ratio concerns, we need to open without instructor-led programming. This means that the Y is open and you can use the facilities but that programming led by a staff-member is cancelled to include swim lessons, group exercise classes, youth classes and programs. Facility-access only means that Stay & Play is also closed.
How quickly will I be notified? We make every effort to communicate closures as quickly as possible. Due to the last minute nature of closures, communication may be delayed depending on the nature of the emergency. If all five branches are closing, the posting of communication can take up to 40 minutes. We do our best to post to the website first, with push communications next and phones last.
When do these happen? Planned closures are times when we need to close the entire branch or a specific area of the branch due to a scheduled event . In the past, these have occurred in the case of our staff holiday party, special events like Food Truck Friday and the 5K, and swim meets. Planned closures also include days that Y branches are closed for holidays. These include Easter, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Christmas Day and Thanksgiving Day with partial openings on Christmas Eve, New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day.
How do I find out? Planned closures are communicated in a variety of ways including building signage (on doors and digitally), via social media, via weekly e-blast, and on our website alerts. Push notifications and texts are also sent in the days leading up to a planned closure. Our holiday closures for the year are available on our website branch pages <HERE>
Links and instructions for all of the communication types mentioned above are listed below:
- Visit our website at ymcabucks.org
- Should an alert be active, a page should automatically appear over the webpage
- You can also click on the purple “Y ALERT!” button on the top of the webpage to view all alerts
E-mail and E-mail Newsletters
- Take a moment to ensure that your email address is correct in our records by stopping by our Welcome Center or checking your online account
- Members and nonmembers can also opt-in to email communication on a variety of topics by visiting our webpage, found <HERE>
App – push notifications
- Download our app by visiting the app store and searching “ymca bucks”
- Setup your account information, including preferred branch and notification preferences.
Website – texts
- Visit our Text Alert webpage, found <HERE>
- Complete the form with your information and communication preferences and click SUBMIT
- Each time you come to the Y or check-in, be sure to watch for signage indicating an upcoming closures.
- You can also ask questions about upcoming closures at the Welcome Center.
Each branch has a Facebook page, where information is communicated often. LIKE the page that correlates with your home branch so that our information appears in your news feed.
You can also call your branch to ask questions at any time.
Fairless Hills: 215.949.3400
Child Care Centers and other Small Communities
Child Care Centers follow the closure plans of the local school districts where they are located. We also make every effort to post closures to the ALERT section of our main website, ymcabucks.org. Center directors may also post to the Facebook group for your center.